Wednesday 30 April 2014

Election Biography: Sorcha O'Neill, Sinn Féin

This material is supplied by the candidate.

I am a very new addition to the election race, writes Sorcha O'Neill, the Sinn Fein candidate in the Naas Municipal Area for the elections to Kildare County Council. I am standing for the Kildare Local elections for Naas, Sallins, Bodenstown, Ballymore Eustace, Killashee, Killcullen, and Caragh areas.

I got into politics having been a voluntary citizen member and steering group member of the Constitutional Convention since 2012. This convention opened my eyes to the rights and power we as ordinary people have. It was an educational and enlightening experience where I had the opportunity to spend time with politicians from all parties.

I came to notice that Sinn Féin representatives always contributed to the process in making sure that each topic was approached in an inclusive and fair way, where others were quiet or interested in sound bites. I also came to realize that each of the outcomes and recommendations that the citizens and polictians had voted on were things that Sinn Féin had already been asking for years to be introduced. I was impressed in the level of detail and effort that their representatives in each topic that I did not see from other candidates.

What really drew me into the party was when I attended the Ard Fheis as a guest and I saw all the women involved, young and old, as candidates, policy makers, researchers etc. It was like a home from home. They were welcoming, inclusive and energized. I knew then this was the party for me. Sinn Féin has over 30 percent of female candidates running this year and no other party comes close. I am delighted to say that three of the seven candidates running in the Kildare local elections are female.

I intend to use my experience as a small national business to help others. Everyday I see businesses closing down and nothing is done to help them. As a business teacher for the ETB I will offer my experience and advice freely to anyone that needs it. If elected, my focus will be on job creation by supporting local businesses and upcoming projects as well as fighting for those who have been most hurt by austerity measures. I will be lobbying for Sinn Féin's policy of a fairer model of commercial rates for businesses.

I will of course be lobbying the lowest water rates possible and will continue to lobby for the abolishment of them entirely.

People seem to be surprised to see a business person running for Sinn Féin and I have gotten a few curious looks. I think there is a common misconception about Sinn Féin that if they got into power that there would be a risk to business and free enterprise or our policies might hurt our economy. When in fact the opposite is true. Sinn Féin has produced a comprehensive policy to assist SMEs and support up and start ups. Thus creating jobs and stimulating the local economy. We also have several initiatives to boost community work and services.

In addition, I would like to extend an invitation to anyone in the area interested in a cupla focail circle. Please get in touch as I hope to start an informal Irish Circle.

I look forward to opportunity to serve this community at our clinics. It's time to build a fairer Ireland.

For more information please visit www.sorchaoneill.ie or email sorchaoneillsf@gmail.com. Phone: 085 2000 600.

A Sinn Féin clinic will be held in the Hideout on Saturday 10th May at 3pm. All welcome/ Gach failte Roimh.

No comments:

Post a Comment